‘I’m done’: Fury sticks to retirement plan after triumphing over Whyte

Boxing – Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte – WBC World Heavyweight Title – Wembley Stadium, London, Britain – April 23, 2022 Tyson Fury with promoter Frank Warren during a post-fight news conference Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

April 27 (Reuters) – WBC world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has closed the door on a return to the ring, saying on Wednesday the siren song of fame, fortune and glory was no just not enough to bring him back.

The Brit knocked out Dillian Whyte in front of a sold-out crowd at Wembley Stadium on Saturday to retain his heavyweight crown, later telling fans he was unlikely to fight again. Read more

His wife, Paris, later told BT Sport that he would only return for a title unification bout. Read more

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

“It’s the truth, the truth of the gospel, nothing but the truth, I’m done,” Fury told Piers Morgan Uncensored on Fox Nation.

“You know, every good dog has its day and as the Roman leader said, there will always be someone else to fight.”

The 33-year-old, who previously promised his wife he would retire, extended his unbeaten record to 32 wins and a draw with Saturday’s victory over Whyte.

“When is enough enough? I’m happy, I’m healthy, I still have my brain, I can still talk,” Fury said.

“I have a beautiful wife, I have six children, I have countless belts, I have a lot of money, success, fame, fame. Why am I doing it more? “

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

Reporting by Amy Tennery in New York Editing by Toby Davis

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.


Source link